Mouth guard and bite guard also called night guard is a protective device that covers the teeth and gums to prevent and/or reduce injury. Dental professionals recommend guards as a solution to many problems in addition to their preventive use for athletes. A mouth or bite guard may be recommended for any of the following reasons:
- Clenching or grinding the teeth
- Application of topical medication
- Risk of dental trauma for high impact sports
- Aesthetic enhancement and protection
- Mouth guards are made custom to your mouth to provide optimal protection for your valuable teeth.
Are you looking for custom made preventive mouth guards? Get in touch with us! Call us at (203) 227-3421
Different types of mouthguards and bite guards in Westport
A mouth guard serves as a protective shield for the teeth while performing athleisure and athletic activities. It can be custom made according to requirement. These help in protecting the teeth from damage. These are essential when an individual has braces or has gone through a fixed anterior bridgework. You can consult a specialist to ascertain the correct type of mouthguards in Westport
Mouthguards can be distributed into three categories, namely:
- Stock mouth protectors: The stock mouth protectors are ready made. They are minimally priced and are easily available at any sports and departmental store. These are bulging and can be difficult to carry. One might experience difficulty in breathing and talking while adorning these. Their use is very limited as more advanced mouth guards are also available.
- Boil and bite mouth protectors: This type is a more advanced version of the stock mouth protectors. These lend a better fit as compared to the stock mouth protectors. The material used in the construction of boil and bite mouth protectors is thermoplastic. These are first dipped in hot water in order to make them softer and elastic, then with the help of tongue pressure it is pushed and fitted in the mouth.
- Custom made mouth protectors: The custom made mouth protectors are crafted as per individual choice. These are sculpted at a dental laboratory depending on the instructions given by the dentist. Initially, the dentist will take an impression of your teeth. Second, the impression will be molded according to the mouth specification. Since this type of mouth protector is made using special materials, it generally involves more cost.
The major advantage of wearing dental mouth guards in Westport is that these provide unmatched security to athletes belonging to every age group and those involved in strenuous physical activity to protect teeth from chipping and breaking. These are also helpful in preventing serious mouth injuries such as jaw and bone fractures, cerebral hemorrhage, and concussions.